Friday, July 11, 2014

Caramelized Brussels Sprouts



Brussels sprouts are often viewed as a as the scum of the vegetable world. As a kid I remember reading in children’s books about other kids who hated to eat two things: lima beans and Brussels sprouts. Consequently I just thought that I would naturally hate those two vegetables.


Little did I know, that the bitter, nasty mini cabbages I had read about did not need to be bitter and nasty after all. Brussels sprouts can be made in so many different ways, each of which leaves you with a delicious (and sometimes sweet) deep green vegetable that you can add to any classic American meal.


 I've made Brussels sprouts a couple of different ways (and there are so many more ways than just these two). The first time I roasted them it was with a balsamic vinegar glaze and Parmesan cheese to top . But this time I decided to caramelize them to add a little more sweetness. Though the balsamic was good, I think caramelizing wins. It's quick, and it's easy. Here's the deets:

Oven 400° F | Makes 5-6 servings
Prep time: 10 min | Cook Time: 30 min.

Ingredients:
2 lbs. Brussels sprouts
1 large onion
1/4 C. olive or canola oil (canola oil cooks better at higher temperatures, so I would recommend canola)
2 Tbs. brown sugar
2 tsp. Salt
1/2 t. Black pepper 

Directions:
Trim and wash the Brussels sprouts, then cut into halves, set aside. Cut the onion into large wedges by (1) cutting it in half (2) cut the halves in half (3) cut those halves into long strips.

Next, mix the oil, sugar, salt and pepper. Combine this mixture with the Brussels sprouts and the onion in a large boil. Coat well.

Cover a baking pan with tin foil to place the Brussels sprouts on. Roast in the oven for about 30 minutes (maybe 40 if your oven cooks at a lower temperature) stirring every 10 minutes. Brussels sprouts should be a dark green, with parts golden brown or brown. Serve when hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment